As the garage door’s bottom seal ages, it will probably have to be replaced several times. With the weather stripping running along the other three sides, the plastic gasket seals the garage door. We provide a step-by-step guide on how to replace a garage door seal, as well as the tools you’ll need.
Steps to Install Garage Door Weather Stripping
Put this project on your priority list now so you won’t have to worry later. Prepare your garage for year-round use with these four steps in less than an hour:
Tools You’ll Need
- Four-in-one screwdriver
- Using a cordless driver (if you’re installing the bottom seal and track with screws)
- Utility knife
- Galvanized nails and screws
- Rubber bottom seal gasket for garage doors
- Soapy, warm water
- Tape measure
- Lubricating spray
To remove the existing bottom gasket, follow these steps:
- Close your garage door opener
- Open the garage door at eye level
- With a utility knife and flat-head screwdriver, remove the existing bottom seal from around the bottom track of the garage door
- Occasionally, you might need to remove nails or screws from the door’s edges or from the track that held the gasket in place
- Remove any remaining debris and lubricate with your spray
Measure the width of the garage door and cut the new seal to fit
- Tape-measure the length of your new seal
- Make the rubber gasket the right size by cutting it
Installation of the new bottom seal
Before installing the gasket, soak it in warm, soapy water to ensure it is sized properly
Check That Door Closes and Seals Properly
- Make a U shape out of the rubber gasket and place it in the bottom track of the door
- If you are working with someone else, ask them to stand on the other side of the door while you seal it
- When the rubber shrinks, fold in the excess gasket left on the track; this ensures a tight seal.
- Install nails or screws along the edges of the bottom seal to secure it in place
- Connect the opener to your garage door and test that it closes as expected
- If the bottom of the door is touching the ground, make sure there is no gap
A DIY garage door repair guide can help you solve small garage door problems. The garage door is heavy and can be hard to handle. If you need garage door repair in your area, call a garage door expert. Garage Door Repair Tigard provides reliable garage door repair services in the Tigard area. We offer long-lasting, dependable products that will enhance the curb appeal and design of your home.
It can also give you peace of mind knowing that your family and belongings are safe at night when your garage door is closed. Our services include garage door installation, repair, and sales of residential and commercial garage doors.